July was a month of extremes… Both because of the weather (which seemed to be all over the place even though it’s currently winter down here) and reading wise. I’m sure some will remember my DANGER DANGER post two weeks ago where I talked about my ARC overload and blogging slump… I’ve been reading more than ever this year and took on more ARCs than I could handle, and I guess the bomb finally imploded in July. After an overwhelming amount of comments and support (thank you all ❤ ❤ ❤ ) I managed to put together a 5 Step Plan to beat my slump and I’ve been doing slightly better so far. I do miss not bloghopping and using social media as often though! But it’s a great feeling to be trying to get back in control.
As for the bookish numbers:
- Number of books read in July: 18
- Total number of books read this year: 125
- Total number of pages read in July: 6.157
- Total number of pages read this year: 41.425
July was a month of extremes with not as many high ratings as usual… I did manage to add another 5 star read to my favorites, but I also had a DNF and NINE books with a 3 star rating or below. All in all not the best month, but I guess my slump can be partially blamed for that.
5 STARS: Absolutely and entirely mind blowing! I suggest you to pick up a copy now.
Stillhouse Lake – by Rachel Caine
4.5 STARS: This one was almost perfect. Surely fantastic!
The Stolen Girls – by Patricia Gibney
4 STARS: Wow, this was really good. Close to amazing!
Jeopardy In July – by Barbara Venkataraman // Aristotle And Dante Discover The Secrets Of The Universe – by Benjamin Alire Saenz // Little Monsters – by Kara Thomas // The Breakdown – by B.A. Paris // The Girls In The Water – by Victoria Jenkins
3.5 STARS: Great read. Really entertaining!
Now You See Me – by Sharon Bolton
3 STARS: It was a nice read, but not fantastic.
Court Of Lions – by Jane Johnson // Slip by David Estes // The List – by Patricia Forde // Americosis Vol. 4 – by Haydn Wilks // Love May Fail – by Matthew Quick
2.5 STARS: I give this one the benefit of the doubt. Nothing too exciting.
The Lost Book Of The Grail – by Charlie Lovett
0 STARS (DNF): I didn’t even bother to finish this one. Absolutely and totally horrible!
Bookishly Ever After – by Isabel Bandeira
Somehow I have joined way more challenges than usual this year, but at least I’ve already made a lot of progress with most of them so far. I managed to complete my second challenge this month! The Hooked To Books challenge… 😀 I’m also really close with the ABC challenges and since the Netgalley challenge didn’t really have a goal I guess I’ve already done enough as well. 😉 I should really start working on both my Reading Through The Centuries and Beat The Backlist challenge again though.
# CHALLENGES #
Goodreads 2017 Reading Challenge: DONE 100/100
- Goodreads 2017 Reading Challenge TAKE TWO: 125/175
- Reading Through The Centuries: 2/10
- 2017 Netgalley & Edelweiss Reading Challenge: 69 Netgalley ARCs and 24 other ARCs
- 2017 When Are You Reading?: 9/12
- 2017 Beat The Backlist: 29 books published in 2016, 21/50 published in 2013-2015 and 8/20 books published before 2013
- 2017 Alphabet Soup Reading Challenge: 24/26
- 2017 Author ABC Challenge: 25/26
Hooked To Books Challenge: DONE 120/120
As for my other goals…I managed to maintain my Netgalley ratio above 80%, which I’m pretty happy about. I’ve also finally started a book in Dutch and will definitely finish it before the end of August. Things are pretty hopeless when it comes to my TBR pile though…. I’m seriously considering doing a kindle clean out to get rid of some titles I would probably never read anyway…
# OTHER READING/BLOGGING GOALS #
- Read at least 5 classics (rereads don’t count) 2/5 (The Color Purple, Little Women)
- Complete at least 5 series (rereads don’t count) 3/5 (Shades Of Magic, The Dominion Trilogy, Confessions)
- Reread at least 3 books 1/3 (The Perfect Stranger)
- Bring my physical TBR pile below 250 books 392/250
- Read at least one book over 800 pages (maximum at 624 pages)
- Read at least 2 books in Spanish 0/2
- Read at least 1 book in Dutch 0/1
Join at least 5 challenges during the year
- Keep my Netgalley ratio above the 80% currently at 90%
Start a Twitter account and use it regularly
- Reach 5km running! 2000m/5000m
Happy August and Happy Reading!