Well… Shoot. The first six months of 2020 are now officially over and I really feel like demanding a refund. I seriously don’t even want to stand still by the current situation in our country and the world for that matter… It’s been hard to focus especially on all things blogging and social media recently, which probably explains why I’ve been less present even though I do seem to get those reviews written somehow. On a brighter note, I received a belated birthday present last month: a shiny new kindle! Not a moment too late as my old one was about to give the ghost haha. I also found a new favorite cookie recipe: the perfect combination of crunch and gooey center! ❤
Next: the bookish numbers.
- Number of books read in June: 27
- Total number of books read in 2020: 135
- Total number of pages read in June: 9.270
- Total number of pages read in 2020: 45.333
I ended up reading a LOT in June… And this has mostly to do with the fact that the only time I manage to forget about the fact that the world is going to shit is when I read or bake. I was quite lucky with my reading choices in general too, with only six titles having a 3 star or below rating (one was a DNF though) and four titles with a (nearly) perfect rating.
JUNE 2020 READS
5 STARS: Absolutely and entirely mind blowing! I suggest you to pick up a copy now.
The Ten Thousand Doors Of January – by Alix E. Harrow
4.5 STARS: This one was almost perfect. Surely fantastic!
4 STARS: Wow, this was really good. Close to amazing!
Finding Dorothy – by Elizabeth Letts // Somebody’s Daughter – by Carol Wyer // Left For Dead – by Caroline Mitchell // Kill You Twice – by Chelsea Cain // The Bone Jar – by S.W. Kane // The Poet X – by Elizabeth Acevedo // The Girl From Widow Hills – by Megan Miranda // Someone’s Listening – by Seraphina Nova Glass // Let Me Go – by Chelsea Cain // The Switch – by Beth O’Leary // The Collector – by John Maher // Hinton Hollow Death Trip – by Will Carver // The Love Story Of Missy Carmichael // Good Girl Bad Girl – by Michael Robotham
3.5 STARS: Great read. Really entertaining!
3 STARS: It was a nice read, but not fantastic.
What I Know – by Miranda Smith // Saving Ruby King – by Catherine Adel West // Before I Die – by Jackie Morrissey // Nothing Important Happened Today – by Will Carver // The Heatwave – by Katerina Diamond
0 STARS (DNF): I didn’t even bother to finish this one. Either horrible or definitely not for me!
Sorry I Missed You – by Suzy Krause
I’ve decided to only join a limited amount of 2020 to focus more on the joy of reading without obligations again… And somehow I’m well on my way completing them without even trying haha. I managed to complete the Beat The Backlist challenge with six months left in the year; while I did read less books published in 2018 or 2017, I made up for it with older books and I like this balance even better. Yay for giving love to all the older books! And I hope to get a lot more read before the end of 2020. My Goodreads challenge is almost finished too; I will most likely end up updating it to 200 once I hit the mark. The 20 Books Of Summer challenge is also going better than expected and I managed to read 7 books on the list already.
# CHALLENGES #
- Goodreads 2020 Reading Challenge: 135/150
2020 Beat The Backlist Challenge :DONE!!! (33/50 books read published in 2018 or 2017 and 48/30 books read published 2016 or before. A total of 81/80 books.) Reading Through The Centuries :DONE!!! 5/5 2020 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge :DONE!!! 25/25
- 20 Books Of Summer 2020: 7/20
As for my other goals… I wasn’t able to get my ARC/backlist ratio below 40% again, but then again I already expected that as I have a huge pile of ARCs I need to work through. I’m doing better than expected with my international authors/translation goal though, and I will be completing it by the end of July as I have at least two foreign authors lined up this month. I’m also working on my second Spanish read right now, so that goal will be crossed off in my next month in review post too. 😉 I’m still deciding which book to read for my 800+ pages goal though…
# OTHER READING/BLOGGING GOALS #
Read at least 3 (modern) classics (rereads don’t count)DONE!! 3/3 (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang // A Study In Scarlet // The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button)
- Complete at least 10 series (rereads don’t count) 6/10 (Feverwake // Lacey Flint // If I Stay // The Bird And The Sword Chronicles // The Hundred-Year-Old Man // Archie Sheridan & Gretchen Lowell)
Reread at least 2 booksDONE!! 2/2 (Deep Blue Trouble // Pippi Longstocking)
- Bring my physical TBR pile below 600 books and keep it that way. 752/600
- Read at least one book over 800 pages 0/1 (highest page count 774 pages; She Has A Broken Thing Where Her Heart Should Be)
- Keep ARC/backlist title ratio below 40% 43,7%
- Read at least 2 books in Spanish 1/2 (Harry Potter Y Las Reliquias De La Muerte)
Read at least 1 book in DutchDONE!! 1/1 (Moederkruid)
- Read at least 15 international authors and/or translations 13/15 (Dark Mother Earth (Croatia DNF) // My Sister, The Serial Killer (Nigeria) // Perfume (Germany) // Death Deserved (Norway) // Blue Night (Germany) // Pippi Longstocking (Sweden) // Sister (Norway) // The Girl In The Tree (Turkey) // The Creak On The Stairs (Iceland) // The Guest Cat (Japan) // Moederkruid (The Netherlands) // The Accidental Further Adventures Of The Hundred-Year-Old Man (Sweden) // The Child (Germany))
- Read at least 10 TBR jar picks 4/10 (Like This For Ever // What We Saw // The Storied Life Of A.J. Fikry // Evil At Heart)
Join at least 5 challenges during the yearDONE!! 5/5
- Keep my Netgalley ratio above the 80% 96%
Stay safe and happy reading!